Friday, October 06, 2006

Muriel

Hi Everyone, today is a very sad day for us as we've just learnt of the passing of one of our favourite clients (and indeed close friend), Muriel O'Conner. Many of our Perth clients would have known or at least seen Muriel around the place. I remember that she was the only respondent from a television advertising I once ran on Channel 10 a number of years ago. A widow who lived in Mundaring, she shared her life with a cat, a shaggy dog called Milligan, and any number of brightly coloured budgies. She raced quite a few horses with us including Static Zap (3 wins), Polish Pleasure (5 wins), Ebony Royal (1 win), Hot Shot Brother (6 wins)and more recently Fire From Ice (4 wins) and Evert. Every horse except Evert (who's still going) that Muriel raced with us was a winner. She proudly said that some of the best times of her life have been as the proud part owner of Hot Shot Brother as he went on his winning way. Muriel also introduced Joan Ridley to us who is still a client to this day...

So, allow me to ramble a bit.....

Muriel was born and raised in England, and during WW2 worked at the famous Bletchley Park. This was the place where the allies deciphered the codes that the German forces were using to communicate-a factor many claim was not only instrumental in winning the war, but it was THE decisive element that turned the tide against the gathering German momentum. She told fascinating stories of her time there as a WREN, and served her country proud. Her role as a wife took her to Africa where she lived for many years before moving to Australia. Her husband died young and she lived alone for the rest of her life, showing an interest in writing, (she even wrote plays), enjoying her garden and her racehorses, until moving into a retirement nursing unit late last year. Just weeks ago, Karen and I again visited her in hospital (she fell and hurt her leg a few months ago) and gave her a small "painted pony" as a gift to cheer her up.

One of the funniest stories that I can relate to you about Muriel is about the time when she was previously in hospital, and she wrote me a letter (one of many) whilst obviously under the influence of mind changing medication. She wrote how she had a premonition that she was going to die (this was 5 years ago so her timing was a bit out) and she wanted to tidy her affairs up. She told me who she wanted to have what in her will, and at the bottom of the page it read.."and finally Peter, I'd like you to have thirty...." and that's where it ended and she went on to a new page. I hesitated as I turned the page thinking "I know I've been nice to her but this is ridiculous". Could it be thirty thousand, thirty million-perhaps? Was she one of these old dowagers that were worth fortunes but didn't openly show it? My eyes bulged as I started to read the next page and my jaw dropped when it read "..budgies"!

THIRTY BUDGIES! So, the bottom line is, Karen and I have lost a good friend, we've got a funeral to attend, I've got a share in Fire From Ice and Evert to sell, and I've got thirty budgies to find a new home for! Muriel's funeral will be held next Thursday at the Mundaring cemetery, where she'll be buried next to her husband Pat, with photos of her winning horses and a very special golden horseshoe that we're having made up. I'll make sure that she's remembered not just as an unassuming old lady, but as a war hero, a loyal wife, an author, and a very successful racehorse owner....

- Peter Morley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home